Jewelry Care & Cleaning
For cleaning your jewelry, I recommend using an old toothbrush and dab of toothpaste, brush the silver, and rinse well. For a high shine follow up with a Sunshine polishing cloth.
A couple things I do not recommend for gemstone jewelry care:
- Liquid jewelry cleaner or “dip.” This cleaner will strip some stone’s resin polish.
- Salt water cleaning. Unless you are using the “no contact” method and are certain that salt will not damage your stone, I would stay away from this completely.
Some general tips on limiting tarnish:
- Do not store your jewelry in a fabric lined jewelry box, the chemicals in the fabric’s dye can tarnish silver.
- Do not store your jewelry on metal jewelry stands, this will also cause tarnish.
- Remove jewelry before cleaning; some cleaning chemicals can tarnish silver.